Re: RPM roadmapping

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On 7/27/07, Leszek Matok <Lam@xxxxxx> wrote:
- Tell if a given package was installed by hand (rpm -i/U/F) or (if installed
by yum/apt/whatever) which repository did it come from. Some people suggested
to use "Signature:" for that, but that only tells, which repo this pakage was
first published on, and I want to know, where did I get it from in reality.

Like the actual url it was pulled from, regardless of which mirror in
a dynamicly generated mirrorlist you used in that run?  A
repository-wide signature/cert referenced in signed repository
metadata from the repository might be better in some ways than the
full url to a specific mirror.

Repository signatures would have their uses, but that doesn't really work on rpm level. You could have downloaded manually and rpm -Uvh'd into the system, there's no trace of the package origins anywhere then. Except the package signature which is already recorded in rpmdb.

In other words, I think the package signature is the best indicator of package origins you can realistically get.

Making the already existing information more easily accessible and usable is another topic :)

	- Panu -