Re: RPM roadmapping

Callum Lerwick wrote:
bz2 makes things somewhat smaller, with a significant increase in
cpu time and memory usage; unknown how much that is worth it. rpm
already gzips the payload.

bz2 is orders of magnitude slower than gzip. It tends to be worth it
with source tarballs, where bz2's compression is especially effective,
the bandwidth savings outweigh the slowness and you're usually not
dealing with gigabytes of data.

Now, installing an entire 4-6-10gb Fedora distro from bz2 will likely
stretch your install time to days on a mediocre machine, and weeks on a
slow one. Not worth it.

I don't think you're right. For package (or whole OS) installation we're mostly I/O bound, with some latency added by scriptlets. Some of the scriptlets are cpu bound, but that doesn't matter in this context since we're not decompressing things while the scriptlets run. In the package installation scenario, rpm is basically piping the output of the decompression into cpio -di . CPU time isn't really an issue; the output is being limited by disk i/o. You're basically not going to be cpu bound unless your target media is *extremely* fast. If you're in a situation where that's the case, you're still going to get a faster install than most users, so the decompression isn't really a point of pain.

--
  Peter