Re: Virtualization things.

Till Maas wrote:
On Di Juli 10 2007, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

VirtualBox is based on QEMU, right?  Can you tell us what features it
has that makes it distinctive?  (I mean in the free version, not
interested in proprietary features).

it uses Code from QEMU but afaik they use their own approach to virtualization, which may be faster. Also currently the GUI works a lot better than virt-manager for me. It will become more interesting, when it supports a snapshot tree and cloning. Currently it supports only linear snapshots. Also, you can run vmware Images directly with the current version, but maybe QEMU can this, too. If you want to try it, I can provide you a working srpm for the current version.

Is this all in the free version?

There are also two big disadvantages in VirtualBox, imho. One is they use strange build system, that has no stable releases. And the other is, that there seems to be not "install" target to install it properly in a system.

There's a project to abstract away the differences between
virtualisation technologies so that, for example, the same command line
and graphical tools can be used to manage Xen, QEMU, KVM (so far, others
coming later).

Website: http://libvirt.org/
Graphical tool: http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/

The idea is imho great, but for me with qemu it does not work properly.

I'd really like to help out here.  Did you get any error messages?

Rich.