Re: Pirut: Edit -> Repositories mock-up.

You're missing my point here... the idea _ISN'T_ "how does the UI mock
up match with the use cases".  It's more "determine the set of use
cases.  Based on them, work on the actual interface".  You _start_ with
the use cases, not the mockup.

I agree. I was just checking out those use-cases, which have been implemented.

By the way would it be better if we listed out the use-cases on some
Web page, since a mailing list does not seem to be a very good way to
maintain such a document? If yes, should I do it on the Fedora wiki,
or my blog is good enough?

If the vendor is providing it via an RPM, then the user just installs
the RPM.  They can even do so right from the browser.  This is more the
case where they say "the repo is at http://some.site.com/path/to/repo";
and you then have to go configure it yourself.

So a 'Add' dialog with:
Repo ID:
Repo Name:
Repo Baseurl:
Mirrorlist:
..etc..
....would be fine?

4) $vendor provides a repo file on their website and would like to have
it be easy for end-users to add that to their configs

This seems to be interesting. I can think of 2 options:
a. Provide a way by which the user can simply copy-paste the URL of
the RPM published on the site, and the tool automatically handles the
rest.
b. The user downloads the RPM and there is a way in which one can ask
Pirut to do:
 $ yum localinstall <package>.rpm

So, why do this in the repository editor?  I'd argue the _better_ way to
handle this is:
a) Use with what's installed should be fixed to be okay if you don't
have any repos set up/accessible.  This is pretty straight-forward to do
b) If a single repo fails to set up (or multiple, where n < total number
of repos), allow a way to do a temporary disable then.

Fine enough. Let me see if I can do something about this. :-)

But why should it be separate at the top level there?  Adding a
repository can be an easy thing to do.  Hell, the Fedora DVD should be
set up _by default_ to be accessed as the core repo, but that requires
someone to write some code so that we can do a reasonable job of writing
out repos at install time.

What if someone deletes the configuration file corresponding to the
DVD? Wouldn't a single click method to bring it back be better? Or you
want the 'Add' dialog to have an option distinguishing between the
Fedora DVD and other repositories?

* What's a channel?  It says it's a repository manager but then seems to
be dealing with something that's channels?

I took most of the strings from Synaptic. Please suggest something
else. "Repositories" would be alright?

Probably.

If no one objects to this, then I am going to replace "Channels" by
"Repositories".

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--