Re: Unwanted RPM dependencies -size of glibc-common locales

Jakub Jelinek wrote:

The only large thing about glibc-common is /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
(~ 80MB) and that would be a terribly bad idea to split it up,
as many locales in that archive share the bigger data files, so if
you split it up, it will only occupy many times more disk space.
Unlike FC6 which duplicated the locales (there were /usr/lib/locale/*_*
subdirectories and the same content packed in
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, so it occupied ~ 160MB), in F7 it occupies
only half of the FC6 size.

I did not notice this nice change, but it's good to know!

Nevertheless, could we add a glibc-locale for it?
Things like the OLPC would most likely drop it.

In OLPC or on boxes you know you will never need anything but a few
selected locales you can set %_install_langs, e.g. from kickstart.

Exactly.  I think what we're doing now is more crude,
but equally effective.

--
  // Bernardo Innocenti
\X/  http://www.codewiz.org/