Re: Unwanted RPM dependencies -size of glibc-common locales

Jeremy Katz wrote:

It's more like 40.  Or 60.  Because doing it by region doesn't really
help much -- languages are spoken across regions and trying to pigeon
hole them like that just doesn't work.  Times however many packages this
is done for.  It gets big _fast_.

How about just 1?  We make package foo and foo-locale with all
locales.

Space constrained embedded users and lovers of the C locale
would not install them.  My mother language is Italian, but I
know few users who actually *like* to use Linux with LANG=it.
The shell is an English/POSIX environment.  Any mixture of it
with other languages is actually going to reduce usability for
advanced users.  And novices usually don't go in the console.

Anyway, not a big deal for embedded developers: we could
also solve it by setting %_netsharedpath /usr/share/locale
in .rpmmacros.

You end up having to track more copies of, eg, changelog data and other
things that are "common" across a src.rpm set.  And yes, that's pretty
costly.

I always wondered why we never trim or rotate them at some
point.  We're not running a museum.  Full history may be
useful for CVS, but for the RPMs we ship, 2-3 years should
be a good compromise.

We used to set it.  And then people asked how to add support for a
language after the install.  And the answer was basically "you can't".
So we don't do that anymore.  I'd be open to having a way of setting it
from, eg, kickstart which is much more likely to be being used in these
sorts of "small footprint" situations.

AFAIK, MacOSX's installer does that too.  And I don't think
they have a way to add language support later.  Actually,
It seems they only made the "install" part easy, as I've
not yet understood how to uninstall packages on OSX ;-)

deltarpms work by taking the bits you have on disk + the deltarpm and
combining them to recreate the update rpm.  If you've opted not to put
some of those bits on the disk, then it can't recreate the update RPM.

If deltas were done on a file by file basis, it would work
even with partial installs.

How did SuSE address these issues?  Anyone knows if they are
still using deltarpms in OpenSuSE?

--
  // Bernardo Innocenti
\X/  http://www.codewiz.org/