Re: iwl3945 status in fedora7

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Andy Green wrote:

AIUI the situation is that i*p*w3945 is the older driver using the older
kernel 80211 stack.  iwlwifi and later i*w*l3945 are both names used for
the same newer driver which uses the newer mac80211 stack in the kernel.
So they can't really "ship both" iwl3945 and iwlwifi because they are

Ok - my mistake. I was a bit thrown by the name change from "iwlwifi" in test4's kernel to "iwl3945" in rawhide's combined with the change from not working at all to sort-of-working in an unstable way. :)

Slightly connected with this - is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 still considered the correct place for network configuration? If I set up my iwl3945 through the GUI configurator it doesn't appear to store the ESSID or WEP key in that file (and won't associate with the access point when I ifup the interface).

Setting the configuration manually in the ifcfg-wlan0 file seems to work, except booting with the wifi kill-switch on (so the wlan0 NIC never appears) results in the ifcfg-wlan0 file being *removed* automagically on boot. (!) Removing configuration seems quite wrong and is a problem for me since my notebook appears to always power up with the wifi disabled unless I push the button during boot (I've not yet figured out if there's a way I can force it to always come up with it enabled...)

I will do some more debugging this evening to see what's going on - it could just be me being stupid of course. :)

--

 - Steve
   xmpp:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   sip:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.nexusuk.org/