Re: ipw3945/iwlwifi/iwl3945 users, please test latest davej kernels

On 5/8/07, John W. Linville <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you are a rawhide user/tester and have ipw3945 hardware, please
try the latest kernels here:

        http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/fc7/

I am having mixed results with the latest iwl3945 updates, but I'm
not sure if it is this particular laptop having problems or the driver
in general.

Please give the latest kernels a try and let me know how it is working
for you.  Please also let me know what was the last kernel that worked
any better for ipw3945 hardware than the current ones.

At this point, I am quite uneasy about this driver.  It seems to work
fine at times, then crash or simply refuse to associate at others.
I am considering backing it out to the 0.0.16 tag or possibly even
removing it (since the driver has _still_ not been posted upstream).
Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

I have 3945 wireless card and I have one bug that looked much more
serious before I looked into it - but for new users it is a really
show-stopper bug.

I have wireless turned off via wireless switch on my laptop. When I
need wireless I turn it on.
On fedora 7 test 4 with all the latest updates (kernel
2.6.21-1.3142.fc7) when I turn wireless on I still get no wireless!

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

I looked at module list and the module is loaded!

# lsmod |grep iwl
iwl3945               140797  0
mac80211              139133  1 iwl3945

When I remove and reload the module I get my wireless card regisered!

[root@fedora74 ~]# rmmod iwl3945
[root@fedora74 ~]#
[root@fedora74 ~]# lsmod |grep iwl
[root@fedora74 ~]# modprobe iwl3945
[root@fedora74 ~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0     IEEE 802.11a  ESSID:""
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.17 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
         Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
         Encryption key:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Please fix this nasty bug!

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241