Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Max Spevack wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

      * In previous test releases the default product was called
        "Prime", but after feedback from Marketing and the community it
        has been renamed simply "Fedora".

Are you referring to Red Hat marketing here? It certainly wasn't discussed in Fedora Marketing. Where was this discussed publicly?

It was discussed a few times by the Fedora Board, and ultimately the decision was made that we would ask Red Hat's branding team what they thought made the most sense.

The feedback that we received from them was several-fold:

Most importantly: call something what it is, and *don't* give something a name that doesn't make it clear what it is.

As such, several of our names made a lot of sense:

Fedora 7 Gnome Live CD
Fedora 7 KDE Live CD
Fedora 7 Everything

All of these are good names. You know what it is, just by looking at the name.

Except that none of the test releases of Fedora 7 called the GNOME live cd as that. look at the announcement or http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/. I have pointed this out several times before and this has not changed. Do you agree we need to call it by that name?

Fedora Prime fails this test miserably. "Prime" sounds cute, but it doesn't *mean* anything. "Core" is a deprecated term, and "Classic" was voted down by the community. All of the other suggestions that I have seen, IMHO, fell into the same trap that "Prime" did.

The recommendation that Red Hat's branding team made, therefore, was that we look at "the spin that is similar to what Core used to be" and simply call it "Fedora 7".

That recommendation was acceptable to the Board, and was passed along to Jesse as the release engineer. If it was a bit of a surprise to the rest of the community until the Test4 announcement went out, the fault there is mine and not Jesse's or anyone else's.

Setting aside the fact that that name is not acceptable for me as a board member we need to avoid such surprises. I don't know in which board meeting this was decided but I have missed the discussion or meeting. I am not finding fault with anyone but some public discussion should have happened in advisory board list or even here after getting input from Red Hat branding team.

FWIW, I think that calling the "previously Core" spin simply "Fedora" is fine. Think about a potential fedoraproject.org front page with a few download links:

This linking is good but we need a *concise distinct name* for the desktop/workstation/server spin. We need to know which particular spin a users have installed when trying to address questions or debug problems since the package set, defaults and behavior changes in between them.

I understand the challenge with naming the "prime" spin since unlike the other spins it covers a number of different functionalities as a upgrade path for previous users of Fedora Core but overloading the name "Fedora" for one of the spins is not a option. We need something more distinct.

Rahul