Re: perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

On 4/18/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 18 April 2007 10:38:31 Robin Norwood wrote:
> Well, as Ralf points out elsewhere in the thread, this will break
> packages upon rebuild, at which point they will need the appropriate
> BuildRequires added...So I think this will be a problem only if the
> package owner hasn't read this thread and isn't aware of the change.

I'm more concerned about sites rebuilding on their own, not our own packagers,
especially since adjustments to our build system don't help people that don't
use our build system.

But maybe I'm just being too paranoid within Fedora space...

People, developers and packagers make reasonable assumptions based on
years of experience with perl:  core modules will always be available
where perl is installed, for one.  We're breaking that here, by
imposing our own classification of "core devel" vs "core", and having
to do a lot of tap-dancing very late in the release cycle to even deal
with it in a passable fashion entirely inside our own buildsystem.
(Not to mention a user's system.)

It's not paranoia you're feeling here :)

                                 -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia