Re: Latest kernel issues.

On 4/17/07, John DeDourek <dedourek@xxxxxx> wrote:
David Hunter wrote:
> I´ve updated to the latest kernel version in rawhide
> (kernel-2.6.20-1.3071.fc7) on a Celeron 500Mhz machine, also have the
> kernel version (kernel-2.6.20-1.3066.fc7) installed. The newer kernel
> fails to boot as there is a message to the effect of no int found or
> something similar, the oldereer kernel boots the system ok, although
> alot of the services fail to start. Any workarounds or fixes?
>
> --
> David Hunter
I have this problem with an IBM Thinkpad T42.  See my recent
posts on fedora-list (search for dedourek@xxxxxx).  It appears
that the kernel cannot access the disks on some machines.  Best
current guess is that it may be related to moving the necessary
drivers from being built-in to the kernel to being loaded
as modules.  But this is NOT YET CONFIRMED.

My newbie nephew was having the 'no init' problem when upgrading from
a stock fc6. Prior to the 3071 kernel upgrade yesterday I had him turn
selinux off. His subsequent 3071 boot was successful.

His system-config-wireless-gui failed because it was unable to import
the gnome library, which is also  a bit suspicious.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to try turning selinux
off, at least during the yum kernel upgrade.

darrell