Re: Why nobody uses vnc module to X?

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:05 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/03/07, Adam Tkac <atkac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm really surprised that nobody uses vnc's rawhide module to X. Module was completely unusable since 2nd March (got sigsegv) and no bugreport
came to me :( .

I do the occasional anaconda/vnc install, but after installation for
remote sessions I tend to use X/SSH tunnels for improved security, and
less hassle with other people's firewalls.

This uses the stand-alone vncserver, not the vnc X module.

Jeremy

i'll chime in and state that we here at the MMT use the X vnc.so module heavily for remote engineering support of our systems on the mountain. it saves a lot of grief to be able to just connect in and see/manipulate the telescope operator's desktop exactly as they see it. the vnc.so module is a lot easier to set up once and forget whereas the other options require operators to modify a bunch of stuff within their desktop config. we tried those and they were not very reliable due to those user config issues. we, of course, keep the vnc ports we used well-firewalled and require ssh tunneling to connect.

i have not yet had a chance to try out vnc.so in FC7t* or rawhide, though. we have not had any problems with FC6 or any previous version that included vnc.so (since FC1 or 2?). i will certainly squawk if it does stop working or goes away before FC7. it, in fact, would likely be a deal-breaker for us that would prevent us from using FC7 if it did go away.

tim