Re: [GuidelinesChange] Prepping BuildRoot For %install

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Tom \spot\ Callaway wrote:

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
It is important to properly prepare the BuildRoot in the %install
section of your package before it is used. Every Fedora package MUST
have an %install section that begins with either:
%install
rm -rf %{buildroot}
or
%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

Just outta curiosity, why is it not considered an RPM bug that every
specfile has to take care of this detail?  Seems like it'd be trivial
to fix it once instead of memorializing this oversight in every package
till the end of time.

This is absolutely an RPM bug. However, since RPM is riddled with bugs,
we can either hope they get fixed, or work around them with guidelines
until they get fixed.

Historically, filing bugs against items like this have been futile since
it would "change RPM's behavior", as broken as it may be.

I've always been more than a bit puzzled by this... if the same logic was applied everywhere we'd be stuck with egcs 1.x (or something) as the C compiler because newer versions change the behavior and "break" a large
amount of existing software.

	- Panu -