Re: Did i just made the fastest dependency checker in the world? (198 packages in 1.5 seconds)

check dependency`s :)
ultimately.. a new yum version which just takes a second or 2 to check the dependency`s.

Perhaps you're not getting it.  RPM does not compare things such as "5.00504"
vs "5.6", rather it breaks each part separated by a period into an individual
item and compares those items.  In effect, it compares 5 to 5, then 00504 to
6.  Given that 00504 (which is really 504) is a larger number than 6 (or
00006 if you rather), the 5.00504 package is rpm newer than the 5.6 package.

first off.. sorry for not understanding the rpm part.. i understand it now.
rpm clearly breaks all logic in version numbering. (atleast my point of view for the version logic)

a question: what i still don`t get is where rpm is gonna step is.. aren`t i just checking the dependency`s with php + mysql (c++ + mysql when it`s all finished) and just use rpm to install / remove stuff?
that was what i had in mind.

if that isn`t possible than perhaps a patch should be written for rpm so that it doesn`t check for versions anymore.. it just installs nomather what you put in (version wise) and let my dep checker do all the version stuff.

also i didn`t have the idea to let rpm be the package manager.. just to install rpm`s, remove rpm`s and get info about rpm`s. my repo checker will do all the math work.

to put it simple.. rpm has to do this:
- install rpms
- remove rpms
- don`t ask questions and just DO what i tell it to do
- maintain the rpmdb
- get info about a rpm (if needed)

The dep checker needs to do:
- read the rpmdb to see what rpm`s are installed
- generate a list of new rpm`s that have to be installed (lets say for when you want to install kdebase)
- send the install commands to rpm (which in turn adds the info to the database and installs the rpm)

done?
this should be about it right?

2007/4/10, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 10:01:53PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> the result on my php (5.2.1) is: "see, 5.00504 is smaller than 5.6 like i
> said" and "see, they 1.1 is not equal to 1.01"
> those are the facts that are gonna be used in the dep checker. though i will

Let me step back a bit. What are you trying to accomplish with this dep
checker?

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          < http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>              <http://linux.bu.edu/>