Re: sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

2007/4/8, Patrice Dumas <pertusus@xxxxxxx>:
On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:59:24PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> If you are advocating for alternative init systems I hope you take
> sometime to do that.

I am not essentially advocating for alternative init systems, but I am
advocating for diversity and not having artificial entry barriers. I
have already seen people saying only one dm, only one libc, and so on
and so forth. This, in general, comes with a preference for desktop
users and for things that just work, even if they are not easy to
customize. I'd like that power users (like myself) also keep on use,
contribute and feel that fedora is right and welcoming for them.

_Nobody_ has suggested that only one desktop environment or a single
window manager should be available in Fedora. Please stick to the
facts.

The point that you seem to be missing is the fact that there is a huge
difference between shipping two window managers and two different init
systems. For each init system all packages  that provide services
would have to maintain different start-up scripts for each init
system.

I think it is better to test and benchmark the different init systems
outside of the main repositories, and when the time is right, and
opinions backed by measured results, a new init system can be
introduced into Fedora.

--
Trond Danielsen