Re: Future New Init for FC7?

On 4/3/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Zeuthen <david@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 22:27 +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> By using dynamic dependencies and an event driven design, you avoid
>> running most init scripts altogether.

> I'm just saying that don't expect that switching to Upstart will
> magically cut 10-15 seconds of your boot time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that sounded like voodoo
economics.

I think our problems are much more localized than that.  In my personal
environment, the single biggest boot-time problem is that netatalk takes
friggin forever (~ 1 min) to sync with an existing Appletalk seed router.
But I don't reboot my Fedora machines often enough to make it worth my
time to track it down ...

                        regards, tom lane

Maybe the current system should at least be modded to give logged,
time information. So sysadmins can make more educated decisions.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud