Re: Which unresolved bugs block a release?

Jesse Keating said the following on 03/21/2007 08:04 PM Pacific Time:
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 22:51:39 John Poelstra wrote:
4) How are bugs from previous releases considered in the planning process?

They aren't really, officially. We try to fix the big glaring ones immediately after the release to prevent them from happening again the next time. Some previous "blockers" are moved to the next blocker set to be reviewed later.

Unlike with RHEL, there is no real good management of the blocker/target bugs for Fedora.

Has the project discussed or determined how we will:
1) Close out the approximately 7,000+ open bugs?
2) Handle future releases in a way that the backlog doesn't get so high?

Having tried to report more bugs myself recently, I wondered to myself if some people are not motivated to file bugs because they have the perception that nothing happens when they do?  Naturally I'm not trying to increase the *quantity* of open bugs we have, but I wonder if with more volume we would see higher *quality* issues?

Perhaps a better question to ask is if other bug reporters have the feeling that bugs they file will be addressed in one way or another (acknowledged, fixed, CLOSED_WONT_FIX, etc.)?

Not wanting to place too much weight on a "number"... 7,000+ bugs jumped out at me as possibly raising this question, but I'd love to hear what other people think.  I readily acknowledge that the manpower needed to address these bugs is a completely different (complex) matter and maybe it has already been discussed (thus questions #1 and #2 above).

Thanks,
John