Re: Smolt: firsboot revisited

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 04:35 +0000, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Fair enough. However the machine-id cannot legally id your computer,
> > > nor is it supposed to be able to. As far as I understand, your
> > > machine-id will be specific to Fedora.
> > >
> > > But considiering you have to TELL IT to transmit thoise things, how
> > > can there be any legal problems?
> >
> > There is one dead-beat argument likely rendering this discussion moot:
> >
> > Not wrt. smolt, because the server is hosted in a foreign country,
> > therefore the data, unless it's contents is lawful, is likely not
> > subject to German laws (To be verified by a German lawyer).
>
> Maybe Fedora needs to simply not run smolt in german countries. You
> make it seem as if there is some special, useful data being stored.

Absolutely not. I am only commenting from a German perspective, because
I am living in Germany, because I am familiar with the situation around
here. I am pretty sure, what I said applies to many other countries as
well.

> The data is only interesting from a statistical point of view, and to
> a limited audience.
For YOU, but ... the fact "$big business" is running 42 Fedora 6
machines with 9 of them being equipped with a topsecret "IBMINTAMD"
processor at 50 GHz in their development departments might be a business
secret.

> > >  Or are you saying it is illegal to
> > > ask someone to fillout a survey form ,
> > No, it is not, but (at least some) Germans probably will be very
> > reluctant to fill out such forms and be very careful about what they
> > fill out.
>
> Okay. So what's the differene bween not filling out the form and not
> running smolt?
What is the difference between not installing smolt and having to fill
out a form?

Basically: security, less exposure to risks.

> > >  where they can simply ignore,
> > > in your country?
> > Common practice on "statistical survey forms" is them to carry an
> > explicit "data-privacy disclaimer", which people explicitly have to
> > check (== opt-in), which details what the data is being used for, to
> > whom it will be passed on and when it will be deleted.
>
> There is no fundamental difference between smolt and a survey form -
> down to to the fac that machine readable survey forms do have id
> numbers (in this case the machine id - may be it should be called the
> smolt id since there is no such thing as a machine id, yet at least)
German laws probably would mandate to keep the machine id separate from
the IP or not to record the IP at all.

Ralf