Re: Creating a jackuser group

David Zeuthen wrote:

Probably the right thing is to allow the process to run as realtime if,
and only if, the user is logged into the local console. So I'd rather
people try to figure out how to do that instead of papering over it with
group membership and harassing the user with pointless questions.
Thanks.

I see your point.

But if I may - using realtime groups for JACK is pretty much standard practice in the Linux audio community for Fedora and similar distributions. Spend some time on the LAU (Linux Audio Users) mailing list, actually go ahead and install and test jackd, qjackctl, a couple synths and a sequencer and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not saying it's the best solution. I'm just saying this has been used for a long time and there were no riots in the LAU community over the real or perceived issues of this method.

Also, allowing any local user realtime privileges may open up other problems. Debian has a special user group (the "audio" group) for such things. The examples may probably continue.

I think the problem that LAU is facing is that the things that they do are not widely known and understood. _That_ is the biggest hurdle in integrating advanced audio features in mainstream distributions.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/