Re: announce: v2.6.20-rt1 yum repository and kernel rpms

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus@xxxxxxx> wrote:

This is the last I see, before the system hangs (does not respond to caps-lock, num-lock etc)
---
ICH7: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1880-0x1887, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
---
Ading "nolapic" kernel commandline option, makes boot work a lot better.

Now, when hitting Gnome (in FC6) things are dog slow... mouse movement (USB) is jerky etc...

i suspect this might be the sign of some interrupt problems.

On rt3, only USB is slow... Using the trackpoint works nicely.
I noticed that hotplugging my USB mouse was not successful. I had to reboot with the mouse attached, to make it work.

*Should* this work or are there system libs or stuff that need updating/rebuilding to work correctly with a dyntick kernel?!?

yeah, it should be a drop-in replacement, so what you see is a bug either in the -rt kernel or in the upstream kernel. I'm wondering, does rawhide kernel rpm work? It's currently at 2.6.20-1.2922.fc7 which ought to be roughly the same vanilla base as -rt has. So if that kernel works for you then this is a regression in the -rt kernel.

I'll try to test the rawhide kernel soon-ish to let you know about this.

I'm also missing the ipw3945 module - I can't recall if the fedora kernel pkgs usually provides that module or not, but my dkms based version of it fails to build because of the interrupt structure changes, and that kinda limits my use of the -rt kernel to reboot-test-reboot-again.

On the positive side, this T60p thinkpad usually makes a high-pitched squeaky noise when idle while running on batteries. That annoyance is gone with the -rt kernels - Hooray :)

/Thomas