Re: Default MTA for Fedora 7

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Monday 05 February 2007 12:52, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
Are we really changing the default MTA just because of a cock-up in
resolving dependencies?
No.
We change it because sendmail sucks and needs to die.

No, we haven't _changed_ anything. We let yum decide what dep to satisfy smtpdaemon dependencies of mdadm and fetchmail, which happened to be in the Desktop spin that we did for Test 1. We have not made any statement or decision about what might be the "default" MTA should a user actually ask for an MTA. In fact, in the Desktop installer, there is NO CHOICE for an MTA on purpose.

Discussions like what are happening here is exactly why I don't want to choose a default one. I'd much rather the Mail Server grouped marked every MTA as 'optional' and the end user has to make a choice. If no choice is made, than the dependency resolver will make a choice, and right now, exim wins because it wins in a sort of all that provide smtpdaemon (shortest name). If somebody packages up the 'aa' package that provides smtpdaemon and plays with alternatives right, 'aa' would win, again because of the sort.

I'm tired of this argument, let no mailer be default, other than what wins progamatically by dep resolution.

I'm not going to debate which mailer is best, but I have to say this... Knowing that exim will win a dependency race for for /usr/sbin/sendmail, including the package on the media and installing it by default (even if it's to satisfy a dep.), comes very very close to being a conscious decision.

/Thomas