Re: plans for long term support releases?

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 01:04, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
Now that Core and Extras are going to be merged and the distro is
opening up to become even more (?) community driven, has anyone played
with the though of eventually releasing a long term support version of
Fedora?

It could be a based on a staple snapshot of Fedora 7 + 4 months worth of
updates or whatever, at this point I'm more interested in hearing about
the idea than the details, which will surely follow, if i'm not the only
one who think this could be a good idea. Especially now that we're going
to do special server spins etc...

Just a thought (hope this was not brought up ages ago and I just missed it)

There are a few things going against this.

A) Fedora is about new software. Even in our released lines, we constantly upgrade to new software to fix bugs, rather than backport. Would you try to change this philosophy in your extended release?
No. But I guess what you are saying is that without a truly wide range of test machines / configurations to test updates on before release, then backporting fixes is the safest way to go, yet most time expensive to perform ?

For example the external fc5 respin was excellent. since it was released maybe 4 months after the fc5 release, and had updates already included. It also meant you missed a lot of the early fun in things not quite working right, and saved time in getting a machine up2date from the moment you began installing.

Perhaps having an official respin perhaps 3/4 months post that only incorporates package updates that have been released by the project anyway would not be anywhere near as much work as the f rawhide->t1->t2->t3 upgrade to new packages ?

I could imagine that marking the respin as such would be suggestive of "the dont get vX.0, wait for vX.1 release" situation that you come across in other software. I don't remember what people thought of the rh7.1/2/3 releases in terms of should I play with .1 or wiat until .2 etc ?

B) Fedora will now have a lifespan of 13~ months. Anything more and you're dangerously close to a RHEL like product, or a RHEL spinoff like CentOS. These release every 18~ months, and are supported for 7~ years. Wouldn't that make a better Long Term Support distribution? Still based on Fedora...
It may however be workload reasonable to choose specific fedori, which were used as a base {3/6} for a RHEL {4/5} etc, and have maintainers note the rhel security updates - with the intention of updating packages to fix security issues.

By security issues I guess we would include kernel/openssh/openssl as key areas. I imagine you would start to generate problems if you attempted to bump to a new apache/tomcat php/perl/python etc ? From what I have seen, bumping to a new python requires a fifth of the packages in fedora to be rebuilt.

C) Community participation. We tried this once before with Legacy, folks weren't exactly beating down our doors to help out doing just security updates for say FC3/4. That's when interest really dwindled. Lots of people said "Sure, I'd love to get those updates, but I have no time/skill to help out."
Updating kernel packages would be almost impossible IMHO unless you are an individual doing it all day. Community co-maintainers using RH mentors to verify / give hints for key packages might be a step toward solving this. It doesn't matter which software project, there is a serious amount of knowledge to be gained before you can do anything useful. A mentor {ie experienced with packaging / building that package} can offer hints on what to do/not do, on the right track etc.

Is it be possible for a comaintainer to add a {non-trunk?} patch {eg to fix hole Z}, and have the build system build the package, and allowing the comaintainer to test the build {updates-alpha} before requesting wider testing {in updates-testing} ?

D) Sheer volume. The size of Core+Extras is staggering. Trying to track just security issues across the entire thing is a full time job for at least one person. Actually DOING anything about the security issues is probably another full time job. Getting anybody to QA things is a joke, nobody wants to run test updates on their stable system. All the fun QA happens out in rawhide land pre-release. So you need maybe one or two full time QA folks with access to a multitude of hardware/software configurations. If you don't do this for all software, surely you'll piss people off by not updating the software THEY care about. It will happen.
With extras, you are expected as a package contributor / maintainer to subscribe to the appropriate mailing lists of the package you sponsor, to be informed of releases and security problems, and attempt to solve them in a timely manner {3 weeks}. If the workload is shared around in to more maintainers, then it would seem to help in not making huge workloads for individuals. I imagine this concept will be stretched to core packages, and that various original core packages will be able to have community maintainers in the future.

I still don't know though how you can guarantee that I packager doesn't do bad things {introducing security problems, enabling an external repo etc}. I guess ACL's are good, and something could be in place to ensure that the generator of a patch can't build and sign and push a package without {trusted} people verifying their work {aka lkml signed off by x,y,z}, and having eg at least {some number} of users confirm a updates-alpha package seems oeprational before wider testing in updates-testing, and then not releasing to updates before {some number x10} have reported success with the -testing package.

I think the long-term release concept comes from management side who remember eg novell file/print servers that never had problems and regularly had 6 months or more of uptime, and ran until you filled the disk space up. But in the internet connected wider world, perhaps this is really no longer possible ?

In terms of selinux and firewalls, would it be a possibility to release security ~corks~ for older releases by updating selinux rules or firewalls to block each published security {eg CVE} issue, rather than actually updating the package ? If such a solution is possible {eg deep packet inspection as decent hardware firewalls do}, it must also be possible to perform same in software.

Oops, this is very long, hope there is something here that isn't drivel - for reading / commenting.

DaveT.