Re: rawhide report: 20070110 changes

On 1/10/07, Behdad Esfahbod <besfahbo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 12:53 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:

> Is the patented hinting algorithm still disabled in freetype?
> If so, was an audit performed after OIN creation to determine if it's
> now possible to enable it?

Yes, it's disabled still.  We'll probably wait until that patent expires
(~2010).  How does OIN affect real genuine patents with no prior art?
OIN is to counter-attack rather bogus patent claims, not to allow us
violate whatever patent we want.  MP3 comes to mind first.

Thanks for the clarification. Of course I am not proposing to violate
any valid patent here.
I probably did not understand the goals of the OIN and how its
portfolio would be leveraged. I thought OIN could be also used for
some patent swap deal, but this is probably not possibile.

/me just hates patents on software and hopes they will be banned one day...