Re: Fedora 7

Jesse Keating wrote:

No, it really doesn't. Calling it Fedora Desktop means that this is the best desktop we're putting forward. This is where the vast majority of integration work happens, where upstream participation is geared toward, where the majority of QA goes, etc, etc... In some magical world where a few years down the road this changes and we put it all into KDE for a while and KDE gets to the same level as GNOME for us, we make the switch in our Fedora Desktop spin, as now KDE is where all the above happens.

Are we aiming for a equivalent footing or not? If we are then the branding should be a reflection of that. The problem with selecting a release name based on a alleged current shortage of community resources is that the perception would make it a permanent thing. Like calling Fedora a beta would make it a excuse for bad bugs in the release. You dont get much of a second chance to change perception some time in the future yet again. Heck, we are *still* getting badly burned by poor messaging in the past. Have we not learned anything from that?

 End users continue to want a well oiled integrated desktop,
and thus choose the Fedora Desktop spin. We want to name based on functionality, not on what particular software is used.

So why is one of the spins called Fedora KDE? How is it *not* a Fedora Desktop? What about when someone wants to do a Fedora Desktop spin based on another of those alternative desktop environments, windows managers?

Take a look at your
menu system for example, Calculator, Dictionary, Terminal, Web Browser, etc... End users need not care what actual app their using, and if they did care, Help -> About.

That's true for GNOME currently. Not for the KDE menu in Fedora. Do take a look.

 We need to get easily translatable names for the things
we do, so that it isn't a mystery what a spin is for, it is very clear.

Sure. I have been a translator before. Have release names such as Fedora GNOME Desktop and Fedora KDE Desktop is very well translatable. No, I am not talking about volume ids and iso filenames here.

Rahul