Re: Fedora 7

On 05.01.2007 03:59, Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 00:25 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
Nothing about anaconda?
In particular, the partitioning phase is (more or less) the same since
FC1 and not having something in place to resize an existing (most
likely ntfs) partition is a big drawback when compared to other
distros.
Handling resize nicely is going to require a bit of rethinking and
reworking of the entire partitioning interface (not to mention the
backend code).  Given resource constraints, there's just not really a
good way to get to something that's feature complete without losing big
pieces in time for the feature freeze at test2.
It's definitely something on the bigger picture roadmap for anaconda,
but this just isn't going to be the release where it's reasonable for it
to happen.

Just FYI: Vista will afaik be able to resize NTFS filesystems on it own. Thus you should be able to free some space on a hard-disk with Vista and install Linux to it. So I'm wondering if we need the resize-feature in the future as much as we do today.

Sure, there are a lot of XP machines out in the wild, but most of the *new* machines (where the ability to resize NTFS is mostly needed) will ship with Vista by F8.

CU
thl