Re: LVM not fit for Fedora Core

At 11:15 AM 12/22/2006, Lamont Peterson wrote:
On Friday 22 December 2006 09:55am, Daniel Yek wrote:
> I did stop using it after one of my hard drive started to fail and I plug
> both hard drives into another Fedora Core machine also configured with LVM,
> and I couldn't find a way to boot up that machine with both sets of LVM.
> IIRC, it complained about 2 logical partitions of the same names
> (collision), or something like that. With the extra LVM volume removed, I
> could boot; but with them plugged in, I couldn't boot (the otherwise
> healthy LVM volumes) at all.
> Is there a solution for such situation? ...

Yup. Really simple fix. Rename one of the VGs with "vgrename". Some ways of
doing this:
2. Rename the VG on the hosting system (i.e. the box you're putting the disks
into.  This requires a number of simple steps to complete successfully.

To use vgrename, the entire VG must be offline. So, boot a rescue environment
(via CD, PXE, however), skip trying to mount up the disk (or use
the "nomount" option on the "rescue" boot: line), and run (assuming the old
name is "vg0" and the new name should be "herold":

# lvm
lvm> vgscan
. . . output omitted . . .
lvm> vgchange -a n vg0
. . . output omitted . . .
lvm> vgrename vg0 herold
. . . output omitted . . .
lvm> vgchange -a y herold
. . . output omitted . . .
lvm> exit

Then, mount up the root LV, the /boot/ partition, and things like /usr/
and /dev/:

# mkdir /mnt/sysimage
# mount /dev/herold/root /mnt/sysimage
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot
# mount /dev/herold/usr /mnt/sysimage/usr

Of course, change the names of the devices appropriately.

You can then "chroot" and run "mkinitrd" to fix up the name of the root device
(because the VG name changed).  Also, don't forget to change the "root="
value(s) in grub.conf (menu.lst on any other distribution).  I usually just
snag the mkinitrd command out of the "/sbin/new-kernel-pkg" script
(use "rpm -q --scripts kernel-`uname -r`" to see that's what the kernel RPMs
run).

A bit complicated perhaps and haven't tried it yet, but that is great information for me to try out later. Thanks much.

Lamont Peterson <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Instructor

Daniel Yek