Re: Removable of manual display configuration on first boot (FC6)

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
I would like to inquire as to why configuration of display settings
was removed from first boot. As it is, xorg often ignores resolutions
set by system-config-display, but now I'm not evening being given the
chance to be ignored, and frankly Fedora is terrible at guessing
display settings (from the past 4 FC6 install I've done). In the
latest install, FC6 correctly detected the VGA and monitor, but
botched the autoconfig enough that LCD blanked out (display out of
range) - fixing this was troublesome enough - and I've yet to get xorg
to accept the resolution as I set t exactly from
system-config-display.

I was thinking of filing a bug report, but I figured that I should
better ask questions here first.

I think the answer is that Xorg is moving into the direction of getting things working properly by default by instead of having the user fiddle with settings. The Xorg auto configuration mechanism in FC6 works better and usually gets things right. If there are problems file bug reports and help fix the issue rather than workaround it with configuration tools and files manually. For Xorg 7.3, the plan is to use HAL and DBus to enhance this further. Also see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/XInFC7

Rahul