Re: yum

Ahm ed wrote:
I'm sure we have all heard about yum's "speed" issues, and yes it is annyoing, but fc6 went a long way to try to improve this speed. FC6 also saw yum become even more integrated into fedora (anaconda etc.). And all this development is good, and don't get me wrong I think yum is a fantastic tool with many wonderful features. However it's currently still lacking in some areas.

Indisputable and I'm very glad that you raised the issue.

1. The GUI
pup and pirut are pretty good programs but they are in some ways, a bit restricting. (for lack of a better word). I think that they should have more then just a progress bar. They should also output more information about say, the size of the files. How much (exactly) has been downloaded, and perhaps at what speed the downloads are going.

I used these GUI tools for the first time this weekend and was very surprised to see how weak they are. They offer a tremendous opportunity for good hackers with some extra time to make some substantial improvements in the RPM experience. And before the author(s), their family, friends or secret admirers take offense, I applaud the fact that these tools were created. The creators of these tools did good. You creators have my thanks. Most definitely.

2. yum CLI
Yum's CLI is much better than the gui tools at this point, and though it

3. Shared access: I would like to see multiple processes allowed simultaneous access to repositories and the local RPM DB and only complain when the second process actually wants to modify the local RPM DB. For example, a User should be allowed to search repos for packages while an update is in progress (possibly using a shared library and/or cache to increase thoughput). Or query the local DB while updates are in progress. I could be convinced that a warning should be issued by readers when a writer process (one that has begun an install/update/erase transaction) is running so take what you get with a grain of salt.

And as soon as I have some extra time I'll plunge right in. Which is exactly why I so appreciate those Saints who have made the effort to improve the Yum experience for the rest of us. :-)

-pmr