Re: Xen under vmware

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

I am not sure how a Xen-enabled kernel in a vmware guest cares what
the kernel on the vmware host does with it's network, but somewhere
packets get dropped.

The "naked" xen kernel in the guest (without xend started) can network
just fine. With xend started (network-bridge) I see ARP requests leaving
the guest, arriving on the host and ARP replies leaving the host.
But those never make it to the guest.

vmware behaves the same if you merely have a wireless network on the host, it's not a Xen thing. On my box with XP in vmware on top of FC6 I see this in dmesg (on recent vmware versions, there used to be no sign of why ARPs didn't get forwarded)

vmnet: You are trying to use wireless bridged networking together with
vmnet: vmware-any-any-update.  This is not supported configuration, and
vmnet: your wireless bridge will probably not work.

-Andy