600X (A) Suspend, Resume and Sound

I've got a ThinkPad 600X with FC6 installed. Sound works at startup, and
suspend works. Sound does not work after resume.

ThinkWiki says the audio chip is CS4624/CS4297A.

I think the problem is that the Gnome desktop app holds the sound device
open. I cannot remain logged in and get it to work again.

To get it to work again, I can log out of my Gnome session, log into a
console, rmmod the snd_cs46xx or whatever, modprobe it, switch back to the
GUI login and log in.

What a pain!

What needs to be fixed so I can suspend and resume... and more importantly,
make it so that I can get my wife to switch to Fedora on her 600X?! The
shutdown/startup times compared to the Windows suspend/resume are the major
obstacle right now.

Many thanks,
Chris Schumann