Re: [ANNOUNCE]: FC6 ia64 ISOs available

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
Hi.

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:37:57 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:

Yes, where MEPIS != Debian, but in this case the ia64 compose of
Fedora = Fedora.  There are no changes (afaik) the ia64 binary
packages were built from the same srpms at the same time that the
i386, x86_64, and ppc(64) binary rpms were built.

The point is that ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/fedora/ has to carry the
SRPMS as well, I think.

Personally I think it's fine to point back to RHAT for the sources, after all you click on a link and get taken to a server with the correct sources, it is very difficult to find something to complain about that it happens to be hosted by RHAT and not the same files elsewhere. If the files disappeared from RHAT or for some other reason users could not get at them, well then it can be time to worry about hosting sources yourself. But that does not seem to be the opinion of the FSF:

''...
Talking on behalf of CentOS, Johnny Hughes says, "CentOS has been providing source for all packages, changed and unchanged, in their distribution. CentOS has the same understanding of the GPL as expressed by the FSF on this issue."
"Before I was contacted by the FSF, I didn't know that we needed to actually offer the source code of binaries we didn't modify," says John Andrews, the source code maintainer of Damn Small Linux. "Yet we do comply now, and the FSF occasionally pops in with an email to make sure we do." Similarly, LinuxCD.org, a distributor, makes only Fedora source code available -- and only provides that because it was specifically requested to do so.
...''

-Andy