Re: A few ideas for FC7+

Ian S. Nelson wrote:

I think you'd get more bang for the buck if you added support to RPM for LZMA compression. It takes longer to compress but it decompresses faster than bzip2 and at the max compression it's substantially better.

I had the impression the default payload format was still gzip in
Fedora, so there's room for immediate improvement without introducing
a new, incompatible compression format that would make upgrades from
FC1-5 a bit harder.

After a quick look, I can't find anything to prove or disprove the
above statement.  How do I tell wether an RPM was compressed with
gzip or bzip2?

\X/  http://www.develer.com/