Re: On encouraging Macromedia & others to supply repos for Fedora

On 10/20/06, David Nielsen <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
fre, 20 10 2006 kl. 02:31 -0400, skrev Benjy Grogan:
> When I installed the flash-plugin during FC5 first days out of the
> womb it was a one shot deal.  I used the Macromedia repo that Warren
> Togami announced <http://lwn.net/Articles/176376/> and was
> automatically offered all security updates that followed.  Will Fedora
> re-announce that deal with FC6, and are there any other repo deals in
> the making with other ISVs?  Google, Skype, and Sun Microsystems would
> be good candidates.  I wouldn't mind being offered Google Earth and
> Picasa updates as they come about.

I find it rather unfortunate given the official stance on proprietary
software that Warren elects to use the fedora announce mailing list to
announce what it likely a personal project he runs in his sparetime with
no relation to the Fedora Project. It muddies up the clarity of our
stance to users like yourself.

If the repo exists then it's great that Mr. Togami is informing the
Fedora community.  It's clear that Fedora is ardently pro-FOSS but
there is nothing illegal about proprietary software so I don't see why
it's mention should be taboo.  In the case of providing a repo to
Sun's Java there could be some tension considering all the hardwork
going into GCJ.  I think it strengthens Fedora because these
proprietaries entities are then integrating more into the open source
framework where yum repositories are used.

Benjy

- David Nielsen