Re: concerning X freeze recurring

On tor, 2006-10-12 at 15:32 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About once a day my system randomly freezes while running X (gnome). I
> am not sure what debugging info to collect at this point, here are some
> details:
>
> -This is a t42 thinkpad
> -I am running rawhide updating every day
> -this started happening about 10 days ago and just happened today again
> -it happens about once per day
> -it does not seem to matter what applications are running
> -it usually happens while i am moving the mouse
>
> The screen completely freezes and the system does not respond to
> anything. You can't go to any vtys, and I don't think you can SSH in
> although I don't often have another system to try this with. The only
> thing to do is a hard reset. I thought maybe the system was panicking,
> so I set up kexec/kdump. But the freeze does not trigger a boot into the
> kdump kernel, so I suspect it's just frozen not actually panicked.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions for what to do to collect debug
> info?

I see something similar, but it may not be related at all.
This is a "no name" latop, Pentium M 1.6, 512 MB ram, running
fedora-development.

It freezes randomly, however, usually not when I use it, but most often
when it is simply idling at night.
The symptoms however are the same that you see, where everything hangs,
and a hard reset it the only solution.

I have thought it has been a problem with cooling or some other hardware
error, but it could ofcourse be something else, in which case I'd love
to be able to debug some more.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen