Re: Compiz not installed by default?

David Nielsen wrote:

- Support for XV since watching video in non-XV mode is downright
painfully slow and leads to totem crashing when resizing the window

This is per-driver integration work, and also requires poking pretty much every video player to be aware of when the compositing manager is running.

- Support for non 3D accelerated setups (I assume this would involve
better software fallbacks)

That's a nice dream world. compiz is a GL-based compositing manager and you are simply not going to get acceptable performance with it in software for the same reason you can't play quake3 in software.

The only concession we might want to make for the composited desktop on non-3d hardware is making 'xcompmgr -a' usable. You won't get pretty transition effects, but at least it'll hide all the redrawing.

- ajax