Re: ctrl-c during boot != good

Dax Kelson <dax@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 13:49 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

[...]

> > We have multiple requests from people who want to be able to press
> > ctrl-c to stop hanging daemons. Note that you can *already* interrupt
> > rc.sysinit.

> Bill, doesn't the facility already exist for those people? Namely
> "interactive boot"?

Yes and no.

The time where it reacts is /way/ too short, so you have to try half a
dozen times to get it right here.

Besides, there are reasons for hangs before that point (can't mount /usr,
NFS hosed come to mind)

> Enabling this seems like a very bad tradeoff security wise. It is
> friendly/easier to always login to the GUI as root but we don't because
> that is bad security practice.

Right.

> The interruptibility of rc.sysinit should be fixed.

If some miscreant has physical access to the box and is able to boot it,
the game is over anyway.