Re: firefox.i386 in x86_64 repo

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wednesday 06 September 2006 21:23, Jay Cliburn wrote:
Elsewhere in this thread you wrote you'd entertain requests to keep it
there even after xulrunner is released.  What is the formal method for
someone like me to make that request?

There isn't one. I hear your noise though (: We'll save the discussion for when xulrunner shows up.

Even if we decide to keep the i386 firefox (and I think we should), we still have the messy issue of dealing with two launchers. This is very messy from a user friendliness perspective.

- Two browser launchers?
- How is xremote supposed to work? You can currently only run one arch of the browser at a time. - It is possible to run both archs with minor changes to the xremote code, but this makes things even more confusing to the user.

Possible solutions... none of which are ideal.
- Ship only i386, as that is the only useful arch.
- Ship both, but hide the x86_64 launcher from users.

I've seen that Microsoft hasn't found a good solution to this problem when I tried Windows AMD64 beta. Anyone know if they "solved" this in the final release?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx