Re: Standardising firefox plugin installation

David Nielsen wrote:
søn, 03 09 2006 kl. 18:23 -0400, skrev Christopher Aillon:
David Nielsen wrote:
It's come to my attention through painful experience that if you install
a plugin like gnash or the totem plugin there doesn't seem to be a set
standard for where to install these. This leads to many issues like
other gecko based browsers, like my beloved Epiphany, doesn't pick these
up.

It's been $libdir/mozilla/plugins since the Red Hat Linux days. If you feel the need to go through some formal process of review for its location, go for it, but too many things already rely on that directory and it won't be changing.

I wasn't suggesting changing the directory as such, I merely wondered if
we had a standard (defacto or otherwise) since it did not appear that
way when actually checking if the plugins were picked up in Epiphany.

Epiphany might simply not be looking there. Do your plugins get picked up if you export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$libdir/mozilla/plugins prior to launching epiphany?

I'm happy to see that we do infact have an unofficial standard, now we
are still stuck with some issues. I take it since something like the
gnash plugin does install in the correct place not being picked up by
Firefox is a bug then?

Probably. In gnash more likely than not if other plugins get loaded properly.