Re: Compiz seems to hurt my metacity.

Tom London wrote:
On 8/23/06, Naoki <naoki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Probably a stupid problem and not a bug but..

Latest rawhide :

$ rpm -q compiz metacity
compiz-0.0.13-0.17.20060817git.fc6
metacity-2.15.34-1.fc6

When I try : System-->Prefs-->More Prefs-->Desktop Effects

It seems to remove all window management, I get all the applications
from my eight workspaces on the one screen, I can no longer switch
between workspaces (which has been reported before so I understand this
issue) and the applications no longer have borders and are unable to be
manipulated.

Anybody else seen this or have I a bodgy setup?

See similar stuff.

Try disabling and then reenabling desktop-effects. That 'fixed it' for
me (at least, up to the current state of 'working').

tom

[The desktop-effects prefs app doesn't change the label of the button
to 'disable', but it seems to do that.]

Unfortunately this didn't help. I still lose window management and can't switch between apps, can't switch focus nor workspaces. When I "Enable Desktop Effects", is there a log somewhere that might explain why it's failing ?

When I try it I do end up with the "desktop-effects" process but no compiz processes, anything I should be checking for there?