Re: Multilib in FC7? Disable by default?

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 19:13 +0200, dragoran wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:
Hello all,

I've got a simple question that I'd like to table for discussion.
Current -devel tree seems to suggest that FC6 multilib FC6 has almost
doubled in size (from ~13% of the total package count in FC4/5 to ~24%
in the current devel tree)
On the other hand, FC6 is about to include native 64bit OO and gcj (with
browser support) builds, lowering the need for the default i386 support,
as only Wine/Extra actually -requires- multilib support to run.
More-ever, I'd venture to guess that most x86_64 installation will most
likely be used to run native 64bit services and application - mostly on
servers and workstation - lowering the need for multilib even further.
(You won't run 32bit flash on your brand new 32 cores server... let
alone that fact that flash/win32codecs are not supported by Fedora.)

My question is simple: why not add an installation option to disable
multilib support completely.

Mind you, I use my workstation to run 32bit software and games... but I
rather disable multilib completely and create a small, specialized
'stupid' i386 chroot (no DE, no user-applications; only a basic set of
i386  libraries and UI toolkits) and use it to run i386 applications in
a confined space. (Xen/i386 might be an interesting option - though it
won't be able to run hardware GL applications which I need... ;))

- Gilboa

Sorry but I have to disagree here, the x86_64 arch is able to nativly run 32bit and 64bit software, so supporting multilib is using a feature of the hardware and there are many 32bit only apps out there and this also wont change in the near feature. If you don't need the 32bit libs you can simply remove all i386/i686 rpms (yum remove glibc.i686 should do it).

I'm not suggesting the multilib is not required, I am suggesting to give
the option to disable it during the installation.
ok I got confused by your title "disable by default"
BTW, isn't 'yum remove glibc.i686' a temporary solution? Won't yum will
try to reinstall the missing package tree once I run 'yum update' and/or
'yum install foo'?
I have never tryed it but all apps should somehow depend on glibc that means removing it will remove all i386/686 apps.
yum supports execuldearch so you can force it not to install i386 packages.
but I don't see a point in removing them... a x86_64 capable box won't have a small hardisk(s) so the extra libs wont be that much of a problem.
**
- Gilboa