Re: Attention kernel module project packagers!

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Yuan Yijun wrote:

2006/8/17, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> It's the same story: Parallel installation.

Indeed - and to be exact: safely upgradable parallel installation.

We have for example libpng-1.2.8 and libpng10-1.0.18 in FC5. Rpm would
allow installing them parallerly if they were just libpng-1.2.8 and
libpng-1.0.18 so why do we rename it? To allow them to be upgraded
separately, an alleged 'rpm -Uvh libpng-1.2.9' would remove both versions.

I haven't seen anybody arguing we should drop those compat packages and
rely on yum plugin to deal with situations like the above correctly... so
why are kernel modules any different?

Because they name it by hand, not by macros, thus is much more
reliable. I don't believe in  robots either. And a proper name is an
artwork.

Feel free to not trust in robots. Me, I much rather script the things I can to avoid error-prone manual work, thank you very much.

Anyway, that has little if anything to do with the part that matters here: *why* are the packages renamed.

	- Panu -