Re: some closure on the xorg updates issue

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Rahul <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
I have linked several discussions about regressions in updates so do verify your claims against bugzilla reports and list discussions.

None of these have anything to do with the KDE 3.5.0 upgrade to FC4.
The first link is an issue which is claimed to be new in FC5, which if true would make it a regression from release to release, not in an update. The KDE menu (aka. "no control center") problem was due to a change in a Fedora-specific patch in the FC5 (FC4 too?) update, not the (minor) version update. The "no audiocd" etc. issues were due to a one-time build-system change. Any rebuild, even a security fix with a backported patch, would have exposed that. The only issue I can see in that list which was due to a (minor!) KDE version update is the "no automount" problem, due to a Fedora-specific patch (the HAL/DBUS patch) having needed an update for the new KDE. And then there's the kernel issue, but I think (and hope!) nobody is seriously considering not keeping the kernel up to date anymore.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Fedora developer, if in doubt, believe Than Ngo, not me. :-) )
        Kevin Kofler

this kde update also broke gaim (because it used arts by default)