Re: Cross-compilers.

If you are really serious about using cross compilers, take a look at OpenEmbedded (http://www.www.openembedded.org) OE addresses the toolchain and the other 99.9% of the problem.

Philip

Erwin Rol wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:21 -0500, Clark Williams wrote:

- From the responses you got, I'd say there's a fair amount of interest.

What do you think about starting small (e.g. generating a mesh of FC x
FC compilers)? Starting with an FC target would mean that we could use
packages we know already work in the Fedora framework. It would just
be a matter of making a specfile (or series of specfiles) that are
cross-friendly to build and package gcc, binutils, glibc and gdb.
I've done that a few times and while it's not exactly pretty, it's
doable. We could generate x86, x86_64, and PPC hosted toolchains for
x86, x86_64 and PPC and then be able to build say PPC packages from an
x86_64 (the immediate benefactor would probably be the build system).
Of course after getting the toolchains packaged, it's a matter of
asking the maintainers to keep their specfiles cross friendly, but if
they'll take patches, we can clean that up.

It is way more than just keeping their specfiles cross friendly. Most
larger projects, like Xorg, are a bitch to crosscompile, and almost all
need a lot of tuning before even './configure' works. The ones without
configure will probably even more work to get obscure Makefiles to do
cross compiling.
The cross compiler part is less than 0.1% of the problem.

- Erwin