Re: Maintainer for nvidia-crap in lvn wanted (Re: Pull off AIGLX repoistory?)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

Arjan (or dwmw2 (or anyone interested in this topic)), if you read this: Feel free to send a detailed and public warning in reply to this mail why these drivers are bad, illegal and why one should not touch them. For those interested in some details look at http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf (pages 19 up to 26)

What I don't understand is why Nvidia feel the need to use a 8MB (!!!!) kernel module in the first place. Is there a reason why it needs to be there, and not in X.org like all the other graphics drivers? They could supply a non free driver legally then (not that I'd like them to supply a non free driver). They could shift any necessary kernel bits into a GPL kernel module.

I suppose it is so that they can use the same driver as everywhere else on linux...?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.