Re: Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:18:59 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <d.jacobfeuerborn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So basically you say that since you cannot attack the vendors directly
you choose to do so by proxy by...kicking your own users in the balls?
While I'm not exactly a friend of these vendors myself I consider this
behaviour not quite ethical.
Is it not also inethical to *not* do this, thereby indirectly promoting
or encouraging the use of proprietary drivers? ;)

If FC5 hadn't supported the proprietary drivers in the first place then
I wouldn't see a problem here since the users had a choice of upgrading
to/installing FC5 with that fact in mind but now many of these users
will upgrade their system (which they assumed to be reasonably "stable"
because they thought an FC5 release is *not* like rawhide) only get
their X11 nuked by that upgrade.
A very similar reasoning keeps X.org 7.1 as masked in Gentoo's Portage tree;
and it is being discussed on their forums[1] for those interested. I believe
that a lot of the points there are applicable to this discussion as well.

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-477702.html
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail interface,