Re: Attn: Maintainers of things which might depend on xorg-x11-xkbdata

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
On 7/10/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 10 July 2006 05:19, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> So, for example, right now I need to add a BR for the file
> /usr/include/X11/StringDefs.h
>
> what BR: line should I use?

Whats wrong with BR'ing the file?

Well, that's just what I've done and it seems to work; adding that
pushed in the correct package in both FC4 and FC5.
I imagine there could be problems only if in the future the other
required files (I don't think that was the only needed include file)
will be found in another package.

Thanks a lot

For the specific case you've given above, buildrequiring the
file explicitly is definitely wrong.  If you do not already
know which package owns a header file, you should find the file,
then query rpm to find out which -devel package provides the
file, and depend on that package.

If for whatever reason /usr/include/X11/StringDefs.h was to move
to /usr/include64/X11/StringDefs.h or /usr/include/Xt/StringDefs.h
or some other unforseen change, depending on the explicit path
to the file will break.

Having said that, there are some times in rpm packaging where it
is desireable to have a file based dependency, however they also
can cause some problems and so it is often better to find another
way of solving a given problem, and only use a file dep if there
is no other way, or if all other possibilities are even uglier
solutions.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                      Proud Canadian.