Re: Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 1 (5.90)

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 11:49 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
Well I assumed it was, but then there was nothing to warn people about the
test1 CDs so I thought I should check because it seemed unlikely it had been
sorted for test1, and even more unlikely that the announce would neglect to
mention this detail

It wasn't sorted on purpose, and yes I forgot to mention this little
wrinkle.

Perhaps we can get a show of hands of all the people who actually care
about Fedora on i586 systems...
home router. toshiba i586 120MHz [32MB]
fedora test pilot +mock builder. hp omnibook 4150 pentiumII 366MHz [256M]
2nd desktop: compaq celeron 500 MHz [512M]
and my old man just found the first PC I bought [i386 dx40 16M ram > no chance at all !]

More importantly: Using old hardware is important, even if only from an environmental point of view. Instead of throwing stuff away to landfill when it's a couple (or more) years old, I think we should be trying to keep it in use until it really dies. You can also pick up bits for nicks. Working on low budget machines ($100 laptop project) may also necessitate older or non mainstream (amd/intel) processors.

{I find annoying that my 2.6GHz machine doesn't do everything 7x faster than that 366 laptop ;~}

DaveT.