Starting services when not needed (Was Re: NetworkManager system-wide use)

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 22:30 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> What if the user receives a Word document in email? Are we going to
> demand the root password and install OpenOffice? No, we must force
> OpenOffice to be installed at all times instead.

You know, David, this reminds me of how Fedora starts up a bunch of
Bluetooth daemons in the default install even if I don't have an adapter
on my system installed [1].

This is even worse than installing said software in the default install
and we seem to still do this a lot in Fedora. Sure, the software should
be installed since anyone can hotplug a BT adapter but we sure as hell
don't want it started if there is no adapter present.

Care to fix this?

    David

[1] : You know, we already have excellent infrastructure for managing
e.g. daemons whose life cycle is tied when specific hardware is
available. Thought I'd just mention that.