Re: RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Mike A. Harris wrote:
Dimi Paun wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 01:16 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
On the other hand, there are many applications included both
in Fedora Core, and in Fedora Extras, which do rely on the
core fonts system still, and are likely to rely on it for the
forseeable future.

Great to hear we're moving in this direction.
I guess the obvious question is "what will break?". Once we
have a clear idea what really depends on xfs (some packages, like wine, _can_ work with xfs if it's the only available option, or without), we can devise a plan of making xfs optional (moved to Extra along with all apps that depend on it?).

No apps[1] require xfs.  Lots of apps require "core fonts"
support.  We currently provide core fonts support via the
xfs font server, however the X server is equally capable
of serving fonts on its own without a separate font server.

I assume the [1] here was meant to point to a footnote about various very-low-level tools that do know how to explicitly talk to font servers. It's not a large list: fslsfonts, fstobdf, mkcfm, showfont, and xfsinfo from the Xorg app collection, and probably zero outside of that.

I'm of the opinion that leaving xfs enabled isn't really a big deal even in RHEL, and that the correct fix is to fix the X server to use fontconfig once and for all, rather than expose users to a needless configuration change. I don't see the intermediate steps as being worthwhile targets on their own.

- ajax