Re: Xorg signal 11's spontaneously

Adam Jackson wrote:
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
Tracked down a testcase using the Xorg changelog but I get a different backtrace when triggering that bug so this seems to be a different problem. Unfortunately I also didn't get a core dump and I'm not sure why. I added the line DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT="unlimited" to /etc/sysconfig/init and changed the line in /etc/profile to "ulimit -S -c unlimited > /dev/null 2>&1" but after crashing X I now no longer get a backtrace in the Xorg.log (due to the NoTrapSignal option?) but I also don't see a core dump in the home directories. What else do I have to do to get a core dump I can feed to gdb?

IIRC it's something like 'chmod 4755 `which Xorg`' and possibly also run the server as root, the kernel will try really really hard to not dump core for suid binaries (rightly so).

I set /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable to convince the kernel that I really really want a dump anyway but it still doesn't work. Anyway I borrowed a laptop from a friend and have gdb attached to the running Xorg right now waiting for it to crash (hopefully soon, now there is something I don't say very often).

Regards,
  Dennis